September 10, 2009

"Temptation"

This is something I think most of us can relate to. How many times have you tried to move forward, only to be tempted to in the opposite direction? It happens to me more than I'd like! As long as you walk in the darkness, there's no opposition, right? One step in the right direction seems to bring out all the demons.

"Temptation"

In and out of shadows
I'm falling
living
loving
dreaming
and dying
all in the same breath
is it possible
or have I just opened my eyes
to this confused reality
moving forward means silencing traumas
traumas woven as tightly
as my own DNA
fear of the unknown keeps me planted
all the while my heart is in bloom
a heart that walks in the light
yet precariously balanced
on the razor blade that is darkness
have I settled for darkness
because the light seems so far away
all around me
forces are at work
pulling at me
beckoning my glance
seducing my senses
my needs
and desires
in my heart there is good
in my mind
plots leading to what is surely
a spiritual death
heart trumps the mind
for now I am safe
running towards the light
as temptation dogs my every step
breath
moment
and new-found dreams
is there light without darkness
or have I surrendered to the ultimate darkness
of fear
shame
hopelessness
no
I will not be robbed of my light
that is surely meant to shine
I will not speak of His goodness
while disregarding gifts
lovingly placed at my feet
I move forward understanding
that darkness covets the light
waits for my one moment of weakness
I move on
tempted
determined
and covered by angels unseen
temptation may lurk at every turn
but if I listen to my heart
it is the light that will guide my steps

© Antoinette Davis
April 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment