January 7, 2010

“Stranger in my Footsteps”

He knows everything about me
though I cannot say the same about him
the change of my mood
hair
or furrow of my brow
never escapes his attention
photos of me
he has ‘em
names of others who love me
got ‘em
visitors to my house don’t go unnoticed
my attention
he possesses as well
though our lips will never meet
the taste of my name fuels his desire
his love for me
a reality in his world alone
he notices the man who holds my hand
secretly sizing up his imaginary competition
the love he holds for me
is the reason for my sleepless nights
whether I want to be or not
I am his
part of his world
his life
and his dreams
my rejection of him welcomes curious glances
but no recognition that he is unwelcome
one step outside his boundaries
alters my identity
no longer the woman he loves
I’m now the bitch
the whore
the slut who must die
his words
no longer harmless
promised brutality becomes his only choice
I am the one who angers him
in the name of love
to have
hold
covet
conquer and destroy
all are his missions
his delusions and my reality
a collision in the making
but who knows when
there are no rules
and this is not my game
the stranger walking in my footsteps
has the power
in his mind he has won
I’m running scared
and directly into his path
or am I…

© Antoinette Davis
   January 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment