October 11, 2019

A Letter to my Parents

I decided to start doing daily writing exercises. Some of them are light-hearted, and others are like a punch to the gut. I'll be blogging some of my entries. I used to feel like sharing personal things was kind of taboo; but I realize that everybody goes through emotions, and it's ok to unload sometimes. If nothing else, people will read my entries, and they will connect with it in one way or another.
 
 
This is something I should have written so long ago. So let's start with the easy one. We'll call him SD. That's short for sperm donor. You paid child support, but that's about it. My very last memory of you is when I was about 13. I was very sick, and mom flagged you down to see if you could take me to the ER. Your response was that you didn't have time. From that moment on, you were dead to me. I hate the fact that I bear a striking resemblance to you. I resent the fact that you have about 10 kids all over the city. I used to wonder if you made time for them, as you never did for me. Those kids belong to YOU. I'm not part of them, and I do NOT claim them as my siblings. I have one brother, and his name is Gregory. Period. You and your dirty d**k disgust me. All those kids! My mom said I was conceived in rebellion, so I'm sure that my feelings about you are not a surprise. My mom was 17 and you were 24 when I was conceived. You nasty b*stard! I wish I could have had the chance to tell you this to your face, but you exited the earth before I got that pleasure. News of your death brought nothing more than a blank stare, and a shrug of the shoulders. Thanks for c*mming, and thanks for going. Deuces! *middle finger*
 
Well. Wasn't that pleasant? LOL!
 
 
Now the letter to you, mom, will probably be harder to express. But maybe not. Cuz mostly, all I feel for you is undying love and gratitude.
 
When I look back at who and what you were born to, I'm AMAZED that you grew up to be anything admirable or respectful. Your 'parents' were garbage, and treated you like no dog deserved to be treated. You were ignored, yelled at, raped, abused, disregarded, under-appreciated, mistreated, and maligned. I could go on, but this list alone makes my heart race, and raises my blood pressure! They never appreciated how good you were. They used you, and proceeded to chip away at your self-esteem. Time after time you were there for them, and all they did was tear your down. You didn't raise us to take that, and I can't for the life of me fathom why you took it from them. You told me that you decided at a very early age that you wouldn't be the same kind of parent that you had. Me and Greg benefitted from that decision. I always say that your first act of love for me was refusing to take a pill that would make you miscarry. Thank you mom. You loved me before you even saw my face. Your defiant act has never escaped my mind or my heart. I could have been born to 'parents' like yours. I'm so grateful that you even decided to birth me. You had everything to lose by keeping me. I remember how you said your 'mother' lived right next door to you, and didn't help you when you had me. You crawled on your hands and knees to the bathtub where you would wash my diapers out. An 18-year old new mom crawling on the floor so that her baby could have clean diapers. Just...OMG!!! Wow. That image will stay with me as long as I live. Your friends caught wind of what you were going through, and they began to come over after school to help you. It's a shame that your 'mother' lived right next door, but left the job of helping you to your 17 and 18 year old friends. How f***ing triflin' and uncaring can one person be? That enrages me to no end! She's your 'mother'. Not mine. Skany h*e! MY mother would never leave anybody to suffer alone. MY mother helped everybody she knew - even if it meant her going without food, or whatever the need was. MY mother pushed her own kids and all other kids to do their best, and live their best life. You gave away all of your good to everybody you knew. Your heart was the one thing that managed to survive your tragic, disgusting, repulsive, and unacceptable childhood. For that, I am beyond grateful and awed. Your love for me is / was awing - or awe-inspiring. Whichever. Your heart and spirit. Just, wow. I don't think anyone deserved to have you, and maybe that's why God called you home. In your 61 years, you lived such a very hard life. You were tired, and I can understand that now as a woman of 55. Only so much the human spirit can endure. You made your mistakes, as all parents do. But honestly, all I feel for you is tremendous love and gratitude. I know you did your absolute best, and dammit, that's good enough for me!!! I hope you're not up there beating yourself up. We all make mistakes. It comes with the human skin. I wish there was more I could have done for you, but I did the best I could with where my mentality was at the time of your death. I hope you're resting your strong, beautiful spirit. Your heart was pure, beautiful, and so very rare. I'm not sure I'll meet another like you. I have nothing but love for you. How could I possibly hate a woman who loved me with all her heart? You said I was the first person you ever fully loved. I can assure you that you were my first love as well. Rest easy, my angel. You've surely earned it. I'll see you on the other side. All my love forever, and beyond. Thank you, mom ♥♥♥
 
© Antoinette Davis, October 10, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment