October 11, 2019

Memory of a place that I visited as a child 10.1.19

Daily Writing Exercise, October 10.1.19: Memory of a place I visited as a child 

My long-term memory is so intact! I can even remember taking a bath in my moms' kitchen sink. I'm 55 years old, and the following memory has never left me.




When I was 2, I visited a mock jail. The location was at the Union Terminal; downtown, Cincinnati. The jail was on what I now know to be a trolley. On one side was a gun display. On the other; mock cells with mock prisoners. I remember my mom was carrying my brother. He was a chunky baby LOL! She had him on her left hip, and had me by my left hand as she walked us into the trolley / jail. I remember seeing a fake guard. I’m not sure why visiting this place had such an impact on me. I think that even as a child, I could feel the heaviness of what jail was really like. At 2 years of age, I had no way of verbalizing the slight fear that engulfed me. I knew even at that age that jail was somewhere I never wanted to visit, go to, or live in. It’s funny that I say that. Only because as an adult, I did manage to escape the physical jail – only to find myself in a mental, emotional, and spiritual jail. How ironic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment