October 11, 2019

Write a short story about 2 people stuck in an elevator, October 2, 2019

I haven't written a short story for so long. But, here goes!




By all accounts, this was a normal day for Deena. The kids were off to school, and her husband, Frank, was off doing God knows what. Or who.

 

Deena was accomplished by anyones standards, but she begrudgingly left her dreams behind to raise a family. Most of the time, she was ok with being a wife and mother. But today it just felt like a burden, and a huge mistake.

 

Deena never ventured far from home, but today, she just wanted to be free. She hurriedly got dressed, and decided a day of pampering was what she needed. The ‘poor little rich girl’ label bothered her, but money was enough to solve all of her problems today.

 

Halfway to the salon, Deena realized she had no cash or credit card in her purse. Her bank was just down the street, and all worries fell by the wayside as she reached her destination.

 

Making her way to the elevator, she yelled ‘can you hold the elevator, please?’

 

The elderly woman on the elevator happily obliged. This woman was worn, and tired. The years showed on her face, and not in a good way. Deena was immediately drawn to this woman. She didn’t want to humiliate or embarrass her, but she wanted to help her. The elderly woman was ashamed of her shabby clothes, and quickly tried to straighten them. She tried to make herself presentable, but it was an act of futility.

Deena sensed her shame, and instantly felt guilty about all of the ‘things’ she had accumulated in her life. She hung her head, but decided she just wanted to help if she could.

 

‘Hello, ma’am’ Deena cautiously said. ‘How are you doing?’

 

‘Oh, I’m not doing so well. I’m on my way to deliver my will to a lawyer. I don’t have much to leave anyone, but still’.

 

‘Surely, you have many years ahead of you, ma’am’.

 

‘Actually, sweetheart. I am dying.’

 

The elevator fell silent, and her words echoed between the women.

 

‘I’m so sorry. Is there anything I can do to help you? Anything?’

 

‘No. Just live your life. Be happy. People sacrifice things for us to be happy, and we never know it.’

 

Again, silence.

 

Deena so desperately wanted to be helpful, but did not know how.

 

‘Ma’am. This is my contact information. If you need something, will you contact me? Will you do that?’

 

‘It’s too late for me, my dear. God will be calling me home soon. But I thank you for your offer. You are so gracious. Your parents must be proud’

 

‘To be honest, I was adopted. I’ve never known my birth parents. My adoptive parents are the blessing of my life.’

 

‘Ah. Just as I’d hoped’ the old woman whispered.

 

‘Excuse me? What was that’?

 

‘Oh, nothing. This is my floor, dear’.

 

Before the doors closed, the elderly woman stopped.

 

‘Young lady. I know you don’t know who I am, but may I please give you a hug’?

 

‘Yes! I’ve been wanting to hug you’!

 

The 2 women embraced. Neither wanted to let go of the other.  They each had tears in their eyes as they said their good-byes. Unbeknownst to Deena, the old woman slipped a picture into Deenas’ pocket. They embraced once more, and the elevator doors closed.

Deena had never been struck by such emotion. She wasn’t sure what to make of it, but decided it was just one of those things.

 

On the other side of the elevator door, the elderly woman was crying tears of joy.

‘Farewell, my long-lost daughter’ were her last words.

 

Ambulances rushed to the site, but it was too late to save her. A crowd gathered around. Deena, too, was watching nervously. Police arrived to disperse the crowd. Deena stopped one of the officers to find out what happened.

 

‘Some old lady just died.’

 

Noticing tears in Deenas’ eyes, the cop asked if Deena knew her.

 

Holding out the picture, Deena whispered ‘she was my mother’.

 

©Antoinette Davis, October 2, 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment